In his full day design session—Self-Discovery as the True Core: The Personal Creed Project and the Missing Region of Curriculum— John introduces the Creed Project, the model of learning, and the course-deepening design principles of sustained reflection, pervasive questioning, and active cultivation of wisdom.
Teachers write Creed reflections and make presentations for themselves, and sample classroom practices John uses to help his students develop in each of the course-deepening areas. Teacher-participants in John’s design sessions report the same excitement John sees from his students.
John’s full day strategy session—Reading, Writing, and Conversation Strategies for Learning That Matters— focuses on specific strategies and strategy sequences to equip teachers to help their students deepen mastery of Common Core State Standards.
This session draws on strategies from John’s involvements with AVID, WestEd’s Strategic Literacy Initiative (Reading Apprenticeship, Academic Literacy), the San Jose Area Writing Project, and his own innovations during more than 25 years of teaching all levels of sophomore English at American High School.
- November 2018: “Renovating Hope: the Personal Creed Project and a More Fully Human Curriculum,” Houston TX. Three speaking engagements at National Councils of Teachers of English (NCTE) convention.
- October 2018: “Reversing Learnicide: the Personal Creed Project and a More Fully Human Curriculum,” Asilomar CA. Weekend-long design session with Central Coast Council of CATE.
- March 2018: “Equity Through Self-Discovery: the Real Core of Curriculum,” San Diego CA. Session at California Association of Teachers of English (CATE) convention.
- June 2017: “Teaching Self-Knowledge in Unsettling Times,” San Jose CA. Week-long Open Session with San Jose Area Writing Project, San Jose State University.
- February 2017: “Renovate Your Classroom Literacy Practices Through Deepened Conversation,” Santa Clara CA. Session at CATE convention.
- November 2016: “Self-Discovery as the True Core,” Atlanta GA. Speaking engagement at National Councils of Teachers of English (NCTE) convention.
- October 2016: “The Experience of Classroom Depth,” Asilomar CA. Weekend-long design session with Central Coast Council of CATE.
- August 2016: “Two Interactive Days of Deepened Literacy,” Marysville CA. Two-day design and strategy session with Marysville Joint Union School District.
- 2015-16 school year: “Thriving at the Core” professional development series, Fremont CA. Series of seven design and strategy sessions for Fremont Unified School District.
Half and full-day seminars give participants a personal experience of the deepened learning John designs into his
courses. In most strategy and design sessions, participants sample an abbreviated version of the Personal Creed